Thursday, November 21, 2013

10 Things I Learned about Pregnancy



Like any new mom, I was very clueless on what to expect during the course of my pregnancy. To be honest, when I saw the positive sign on the pregnancy test I took after five days of missing my period, I cried. And, it wasn't totally of happy tears at first, which confused my husband because I've been wanting to have a baby for so long already. I was really scared. Scared because I don't know if I'm going to be a good mom, scared that my current illnesses with some that I haven't really dealt with would affect the baby, and the list of worries go on. Good thing my husband was sweet enough to reassure me that everything's gonna be okay and that God will help us every step of the way.

I'm a bit dramatic, I know, and the hormones doesn't help. Pregnancy can really be overwhelming at times so it helps to have a good support system, like your family, to share your ups and downs. Pregnancy is not a simple walk in the park that's why I thought of sharing with you some of the things I learned in my journey towards motherhood.





Not all pregnancies are the same. Don't get frantic over your friend's horror stories about her experience and deprive you of this blessing. Every pregnancy really differs. I, for one, was lucky enough to have not experience the traumatic first trimester blues some of my friends had. The nausea and wooziness was there but I didn't get to experience having the toilet bowl as my morning best friend. Although, I suddenly got weird allergies I never had before. Anyway, to have an idea, better ask your mom what her experience was like. Chances are, your experience will be closest to that of hers when she was pregnant with you.


Movies and teleseryes might have exaggerated first trimester cravings giving your partner the hardest time to look for that all-soup balut with no duckling. This was actually my husband's fear before - me getting toooooo emotional and ask for things he cannot give. Trust me he'll naturally be sweeter to you once that positive sign shows and he will treat you like a queen and try to give you everything and anything that you need, no doubt, but remember that being pregnant is never an excuse to be rude to your husband - like some pregnant women can be.

I was never like that, or at least I tried to. I was even buying my own green mango and cooking my own sinigang sometimes when craving hits. And just as he was sweet to me, I also became sweeter to him, which makes it more rewarding because we get to share the whole pregnancy experience in sweet harmony, as a team.


Don't make your pregnancy an excuse to pig out (like, all the time). Pregnancy can really kickstart the urge to eat and some crazy cravings, especially during the first trimester  - even when everything you eat sometimes will not taste like what you imagined it to *frustration* - and so I thought eating A LOT is okay. But boy was I sOooo wrong. As much as you want your baby bump to show ASAP, still be careful of your weight. The average weight gain for the whole course of pregnancy is 25-30lbs. and you really shouldn't gain much weight during the first trimester - my mistake. That baby bump will show in due time (4-5mos.) and when it does, it will just keep on growing until you feel like a walking watermelon already. Oh, and Gestational Diabetes is for real so keep the sweets in moderation.


Don't get too excited to spend. Trust me, the bills will never end from hereon. Don't go shopping for all the maternity clothes you can find, you won't be using them forever. Instead, pick styles that will cling to your body and flatter your figure even after giving birth. Stretch cotton jersey and rayon fabrics are good choices. When shopping during the first trimester, get capris or leggings that are 1-2 sizes bigger so they can still fit you up until the 9th month. Then if your mom is a size or two bigger than you, just borrow the rest from her.

When shopping for the baby, identify the basic necessities from the things that are just nice to have and categorize your baby wish list with the things you will need as soon as the baby comes out and the things you can put off until baptism. A baby gift registry for your baby shower and baptism might be helpful to organize your needs. And canvass, canvass, canvass. We're living in a digital world now so you don't have to default to department store retail right away. There are a lot of online shops that offer the same baby brands you can find in the mall at a more affordable price. If you have relatives in the US, everything's cheaper there too.

Like getting married, prepare a budget. Here's an estimated breakdown of the likely expenses you will incur throughout the pregnancy:
Pre-Natal Care (OB consults, Vitamins & Medications, Lab tests and Ultrasounds)- P50,000
Baby Shopping - P50,000 (this can be less if you have sponsors)
Hospital - P80,000+ (normal delivery) / 150,000+ (caesarean delivery)
Post-Natal - yet to be determined


Water is your best friend. Not only will it help you avoid edema (swelling due to water-retention because of too much salt intake) it's very very good for the skin too. 

It's also never too early to moisturize. I'm not really a lotion-girl but moisturizing your skin is a must when you're pregnant because the skin will most definitely stretch thus, resulting to stretch marks. To avoid this or at least lighten the area, regularly apply cocoa butter lotion especially on your thighs, buttocks, belly and breast. I use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Cream Concentrate Massage Cream for Stretch Marks, and I'm happy to say that I still don't have stretch marks on my belly even now that I'm pushing 9 months already. Sadly, I have a different story elsewhere on my body because I didn't start much earlier. I won't share that anymore. *shy*



Research. You may be surprised to find out that there's a lot you need to learn about this journey, from the basics to breastfeeding. Subscribing to Mommy Mundo really helped me. Aside from all the helpful links and articles, they also organize events to prepare you and your husband for the big day. You also get to meet other expecting couples to share your experiences and learn from them as well. It's for free but you need to register right away because the slots are limited. 

I've also read the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting," which I just borrowed from a friend. The book is very detailed to the point of traumatic because of all the info about diseases and stuff you might encounter. But as they say, knowledge is power, so at least I get to be prepared whatever happens.


You make your own glow. You've heard about it - "pregnancy glow" - but some women, sadly, never found themselves feeling this, probably because of the morning sickness, the fatigue and sometimes the swelling and bloating they experience. But for me, I believe that you make your own glow as long as you take an extra effort to keep yourself that way. Contrary to popular belief, you can still wash your face, wear make up and get your nails polished from time to time. Just be cautious that what you use are all natural, non-comedogenic products and avoid the ones with salicylic acid. Again, research.

Your choice of clothes play a part too so don't just wear the biggest shirt you can find partnered with your husband's shorts. No one will judge you if you wear dresses that clings to your belly, in fact, flaunt it. Believe it or not, you'll be the envy of most women especially if you carry yourself with confidence and pride while feeling sexy all at the same time.


Be happy. Remember, Happy Mommy = Happy Baby. Surround yourself with people who makes you happy and keep the positive thoughts flowing. Also, don't miss the chance of having a pregnancy shoot even if it's just inside a studio, just like I did. You only get pregnant once, or twice, or for only so many times in a lifetime. Nine months can fly by fast so be sure to cherish every precious moment of carrying your little one inside you. 


On Me: white lace bandeau (Landmark @ P119.75), white 7-in-1 dress (The Ramp @ P1,799), floral head dress (H&M, borrowed), black bandeau (Landmark @ P79.75), black palazzo pants (borrowed from mom's closet), Brown maxi dress (Coco Cabana sale @ P175), Necklace (Forever 21, borrowed from sister), Shoes (Aerosoles from US @ est. P2,000) 

On JM: White & Black V-neck shirts(Uniqlo @ P249ea), Denim Jeans (Milk & Co. @ P850), Plaid polo (Terranova Men sale @ P500+), khaki shorts (Uniqlo @ P590), Shoes (Sperry @ P3,950)

Studio Package (JMT Creative Photo Studios via Groupon @ P1,625: 2hours photoshoot, CD with 12x18 canvas printed photo)

Special thanks to:
Julianne Manaois for my make-up
Mars Soller for the props and styling assistance
Joel Tuazon of JMT Creative Photo Studio for photography

Hair, shoot concept & fashion styling by yours truly.


xoxo

The Clueless Mrs.
(The Clueless Mommy-to-be)

3 comments:

  1. hello dear !

    how long before you goy preggy ?

    i wanna be a mom soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice pregnancy journey! And this was posted 2 years ago so I'm guessing your child is now 3 years old or so? I should've known better not to spend too much on baby clothes as I'm easily tempted.

    ReplyDelete