Monday, January 21, 2013

Nothing but a 2K Lesson Learned

Disclaimer: I am writing this with no intentions of bad mouthing this store I frequent nor would I like to create social media chaos for this brand. Well, as if... I'm just a small glitch in the entire internet world anyway but I really just want to share an experience that many of you can probably relate to, or if not, hopefully this post can simply merit of you becoming more conscious consumers. 

So, here's the story. Last December, we bought these super nicely packed juices that looks yummy as Christmas gifts for our ninongs & ninangs. We have already given away about 60% of how much we bought but few bags are still left with us, which we were supposed to hand-deliver to our ninongs & ninangs who lives up north two weekends ago. Before that could even happen though, I got a panicky call from my mom telling me that the juices we bought were already expired "01 2013."

Well, on our defense we picked up the items, we ordered in advance, all wrapped up and ready to go so, of course, we wouldn't know how soooooon the items were expiring unless they tell us so. And since we have full trust in the brand, we also didn't bother to ask. Our bad. 

With temper rising, I called the branch I bought the juices from as I soon as I had the time and told them about my concern with the big question "You know for a fact that we'd be giving these as Christmas gifts (with scheduled gift-giving from December 25 onwards). Why would you sell us something that would expire in a few days?" And they were NOT sale items, take note. 

Few responses I got that really irritated me were (note: these are semi-edited quotes because I cannot remember the full conversation anymore) 
"Usually when people buy items from us, they give them away right away" 
Ummmh.... don't assume that from your consumers. They're Christmas gifts that can be given December 25 onwards
"The items were not expired when the purchase was made"
Okay, you have a point there but you should have at least informed us that they were expiring very very very soon so we know.This should be part of your Customer Service at the counter. (Again, we picked up the items all wrapped up and all ready to go so we really wouldn't know unless we unwrap everything)
"The 01 2013 is until end of January"
If I give you something that's expiring, will you appreciate it?
Then somewhere in the conversation, I told the person that I will elevate this concern with the Department of Trade and Industry.
Then she just said, "Go ahead..."
There were still a lot of words thrown back and forth but they're just too much to mention. ANYWAY... *blowing off some steam now*

After the stress this caused me and after a short fight with my hubby because of this, we talked about it and we decided just to turn a blind eye on the situation to avoid more stress. I know we should fight for our consumer rights that not a lot of people are aware about but we thought that it's just not worth it. Well, *sniff*sniff* it's worth P2,000 waste of money. *ahuhu*

Now that I have shared this, I leave y'all with this...

To all consumers, please be mindful of expiration dates specially if what you're buying are for gifts. And I know I have set a bad example for not fighting for my consumer rights but let's all be aware of our consumer rights. Yes, there is such a thing and I'm going to share about that soon.

To M&S, I hope you really consider adding "Ma'am/ Sir, please be informed that (products bought) will expire in __ days. Please consume them no later than the expiry date indicated here." This very simple courtesy could have saved us money, time spent calling you and all the headache and stress you caused us. 

Well, again, this is nothing but a lesson learned worth 2,000 Pesos. *sigh*

PS- to our ninongs & ninangs who got our Christmas gifts, please consume them very very very soon...

xoxo,

The Clueless Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment