Friday, December 28, 2012

Luminous Epiphany

For so long, I have been trying to figure out what I really want to do with my life - yeah, seven years long to be exact - and beat this "cluelessness" that has been hindering me to realize my full potential.

This year has been a career whirlwind for me... My mind has been clouded with a thought that since I'm good in what I do, maybe this is what I should just pursue, but there's a still a lot of what-ifs and why-nots hovering over my head. I have been longing for signs that will lead me to the right direction towards my true destiny. And this time, I don't want to rush it and really think things through.

My facts in life and random thoughts are these...
I cannot be too stressed anymore. My mind say yes but my body (my health) just can't take it anymore.
-#-
I want to be a person of influence and I know I cannot achieve that by hiding behind a desk from 8-5. (Nor could I still join Ms. Universe. *haha*)
-#-
I want to be in control of my life, manage my own time, get to express my creativity in unlimited ways possible, envision things and bring them to life. 
-#-
I want a stress-free life and part of it is to start distancing myself from the corporate world and prepare myself for hands-on motherhood. (Though that may seem stressful at times as well) 
-#- 
In contrare, I still want to have a sense of accomplishment. 
-#-
I'am just addicted to clothes and shopping. (If only it's really that simple to earn a living from doing just that)
So, what now?

While I flip through the pages of Preview Magazine's Dec'12-Jan'13 issue in search of inspiration, I caught myself stunned as I saw a familiar scene that brought me back to 2009 when I was still taking a short course in Basic Fashion Design at the Fashion Institute of the Philippines. My jaw dropped when it came to mind that it was the realization of what I envisioned for my first collection when I submitted my final assignment to my Fashion Design professor, John Herrera. An 8-piece collection I called "Luminous."


A letter from my past self told me so and this feature of Francis Libiran's Gala (above) in celebration of Manila Hotel's 100th year, finally made me realize what is... 

That I really, truly, desperately... want to be in everything that's got to do with Fashion. To be a Couture Designer is my main goal, but if not, I'd be glad just to be in any facets of fashion, may it be as a stylist, visual merchandiser, or back to marketing or maybe work for a magazine or whatever. As long as I can wrap myself up with all things pretty... *eyes glistening now*

This ain't gonna be easy, but here's a proof and my motivation of what I have the talent for...


For my first collection, I got inspiration from lamps, lights, chandeliers, and steel fabrication of my favorite- swirls! I just LOVE the craftsmanship that's put into the details of such things. I also like how light illuminates from specially-designed lamps and the shapes and shadows it make. Tule, Organza, Chiffon, Hull Dull, Nit, Two-tone Organdi, and Satin are my fabric of choice while I play with very light hues of pinks, champagnes, golds, and browns with a LOT of beadings and embellishments to capture the details of my inspiration.

Fashion Mood Board

I decided to go with an 8-piece collection of luxurious cocktail dresses and long gowns that reflects my design personality- feminine, luxe, with a lot of textures and details- because a 16-piece collection might be too much for me to start with. My favorite designers include Elie Saab, Cary Santiago, John Herrera and Francis Libiran whom I think I kind of share the same design esthetic with, that's why I think I can relate to them so much, in terms of design. Hope you like what you see =) 

Styling

About the Designer

Here's an inspiring message from John Herrera after he saw my sketches.

signed, John Herrera

I know it's a loooong shot and I will definitely have to start from the bottom again but it's a risk I am willing to take. I guess, it's better to take the risk now than forever wonder... What if? Why not? and Why (the hell) didn't I? 

So, what do you think of my designs?
Give LOVE and leave a comment...


xoxo,

The Clueless Mrs.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty awesome. The only exposure I get from fashion is the times I go and do research for designs on some cartoons I draw. I definitely don't have that much patience with detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks theepicjar! Yeah, details can be pretty tedious to do but I just love the outcome of everything once it's done ;)

      Delete