Friday, October 5, 2012

The Proposal


I know you guys are waiting for this. The lowdown on "the proposal."

Good thing I had this drafted for our Bridalbook.ph feature so I didn't have to rewrite every single detail... So, here it is.

It was the eve of our 7th year anniversary, 22nd of October 2010, which was also JD's birthday, JM’s brother, so we had dinner with his family as usual. It was nearing midnight and we were still out having dessert at the Peninsula lobby and I was getting really tired and sleepy and I wanted to rest to save some energy for the next day’s simple anniversary celebration. When we were finally heading home and my eyes were heading south, JM kept bugging me to stay awake with his “energizer” playlist. 

When we got to my place, we greeted each other happy anniversary then kissed each other our usual goodnights. 

I went inside, then as I reached the stairs, I was greeted with a parade of roses tied on every handrail with a sticky note indicating every anniversary from October 23, 2003 all the way up to October 23, 2010. My first reaction was, “awww… nag-effort, ts ako greeting card lang that I bought just the day before our anniv, with no composition yet.” =(

JM's partner in crime? Ate Vangie, our househelp.

From October 23, 2003 - October 23, 2010.
7 years of an imperfectly beautiful love affair.

To add to my surprise, when I entered my room, a 3-rose bouquet and a card with a CD inside were waiting for me on my bed. Then again, I thought "awww... nakakaguilty naman, sya merong gift, ako wala"



The card said, “Play the CD then call me”. The CD was a photo montage of our sweet years together with background music “Just Say Yes” by Snow Patrol (courtesy of my now sis-in-law, Cielai). #nowplaying: Just Say Yes (Acoustic Version) by Snow Patrol.

I was crying my eyes out while I was thinking to myself, “eto na ba toh?! I don’t want to assume but I’m always wishful thinking” then again, “inaantok na ako…” ahuhuhu… [PS- I'll try to rip the CD and update this post with the video soon]

I thought the video will end with a big “WILL YOU MARRY ME?” but instead, it said “HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I LOVE YOU!...  *hahahaso much for not assuming

Following JM’s instructions, I instantly called him after watching the video. I was still crying when he answered the phone then he said that he still has a surprise for me. He asked me to look outside my window then I saw that he was still there. Funny that I asked, “bababa ba ako? (Duh- ofcourse diba?)

As soon as I opened the gate to greet him, a banner affixed to his car read “WILL YOU MARRY ME?” shocked me. I immediately slapped my face with both hands covering my eyes as tears flooded my face. 


Banner courtesy of my now bros-in-law, JD & Jake.

He got down on one knee and showed me the ring. 

To tell you the truth, I never saw him kneel because I was covering my face with both my hands, just crying and crying... I was floating with joy, sleepiness and amazement. It was so surreal, I don’t know if I was just dreaming or was it really (finally) happening. When I finally got myself to calm down, I answered “Oo naman”.

I loved the ring! It was tapered with side stones and the size of the diamond is perfectly just right. Just the way I imagined my engagement ring to be.

It was just so funny coz we didn’t know which hand to put the ring on.  

Coincidentally, my brother also arrived just when I was just about to say yes…. So, we went for the movies version and put the ring on my ring finger on my left hand. 

Then again, my brother said it should be on the
right hand so, I transferred the ring to
my right hand instead.
Enggggk.... Sa left pala talaga dapat! 
Since I didn't see him kneel,
we had to re-enact the scene. 
If only I had even a slight sign that
that was the night he was going to propose,
I would have worn something nicer.
The best night of my life,
even if I was already half asleep.


Acknowledgements:
To my brother, for trying not to be there when JM proposed.
To my sister, for keeping JM’s proposal plan to the extent that she had to sleep somewhere else the night before so there’s no way she can spill the beans, and for taking the pictures.
To Ate Vanjie, for arranging the roses.
To Cielai, for the video/ photo montage.
To Jake & JD,  for the banner.
To Ate Jai & to Ate Gail, for helping JM choose the ring.
To Daddy Bong & Mommy Tess, for extending the night with a dessert in Manila Pen to make sure it’s already October 23 when we get home.
To my parents, especially my dad for keeping his cool.


xoxo, 

The Clueless Mrs.

1 comment: